Lewis was one of the “Big Six” civil rights leaders, which included Martin Luther King Jr, and helped organise the historic 1963 March on Washington.
As a congressman he was a Georgia Democrat, and represented an area which covered most of its capital Atlanta.
In December 2019 Lewis announced that he had been diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
“I have been in some kind of fight – for freedom, equality, basic human rights – for nearly my entire life,” he said in a statement released at the time. “I have never faced a fight quite like the one I have now.”
During the civil rights movement, Lewis was one of the founders of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), and then became its chairman from 1963 to 1966.
He co-organised and spoke at the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, the rally at which Dr King delivered his historic I Have a Dream speech.
Lewis was the last surviving speaker from the march.
Democratic Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi confirmed Lewis’s death in a statement posted on her website and on social media.
She wrote that Lewis “was a titan of the civil rights movement whose goodness, faith and bravery transformed our nation”, and that as a congressman he was “revered and beloved on both sides of the aisle and both sides of the Capitol”.
“Every day of John Lewis’s life was dedicated to bringing freedom and justice to all,” she said. “As he declared 57 years ago during the March on Washington, standing in the shadow of the Lincoln Memorial: ‘Our minds, souls, and hearts cannot rest until freedom and justice exist for all the people.’
“How fitting it is that even in the last weeks of his battle with cancer, John summoned the strength to visit the peaceful protests where the newest generation of Americans had poured into the streets to take up the unfinished work of racial justice.”Click here to continue reading source BBC News
- Videos from Lagos and other states #ENDSARSVideos contain sensitive information viewers discretion is advised
- IGP of Nigeria Police Force has now banned SARS in all 36 states in Nigeria.After a peaceful protest in major states in Nigeria, from…
- Press Release;IGP BANS FSARS, OTHER POLICE TACTICAL SQUADS FROM ROUTINE PATROLSFew hours about celebrities came out the tag “ban sars”…
- President Donald Trump and the First Lady Melania Trump have tested positive for Corona VirusThe president of the United States of America tweeted that…
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen are mourning the loss of their Son, they shared this news……The couple whose were happy to announced the arrival of…